UFC on FX 8 Results: Belfort vs. Rockhold
MMA Fighting has UFC on FX 8 results for the Belfort vs. Rockhold fight card May 18, plus live blogs of all the fights and live UFC on FX 8 twitter updates.
In the main event, Vitor Belfort will face former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, who will be making his UFC debut. In the co-main event, Jacare Souza will also make his UFC debut when he squares off against Chris Camozzi.
Check out the full UFC on FX 8 results below.
Main card (FX at 9 p.m. ET)
Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
Ronaldo Souza vs. Chris Camozzi
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Evan Dunham
Rafael Natal vs. Joao Zeferino
Undercard (FUEL TV at 6 p.m. ET)
Hacran Dias vs. Nik Lentz
Franciso Trinaldo vs. Mike Rio
Gleison Tibau vs. John Cholish
Paulo Thiago vs. Michel Prazeres
Yuri Alcantara vs. Iliarde Santos
Fabio Maldonado vs. Roger Hollett
Undercard (Facebook at 4:30 p.m.)
John Lineker vs. Azamat Gashimov
Jussier Formiga vs. Chris Cariaso
Lucas Martins vs. Jeremy Larsen
Nate Diaz fined $20,000, suspended three months for homophobic slur
choice of words on Thursday cost him $20,000 the next day.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship
announced Friday both a fine and a three-month suspension for the fighter, stemming from using a homophobic slur on Twitter against fellow competitor Bryan Caraway.
The suspension would put Diaz on the shelf through Aug. 17. While it is likely not to delay his next scheduled fight, it does mean that during his suspension UFC won't book him for any requested paid personal appearances during the period.
"The language used in his tweet was regrettable, offensive and inconsistent with the values and culture of the organization, and is not tolerable," said the statement by Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC.
They also stated that the money will be donated to charity.
Diaz on Thursday wrote on twitter, "I feel bad for Pat Healy
that they took a (sic) innocent mans money and I think the guy who took the money is the biggest f-g in the world."
Caraway was given a $65,000 bonus earlier this week for best submission at UFC 159
on April 27 in Newark, N.J. The night of the show, UFC President Dana White had earmarked the bonus to Pat Healy, who then failed his drug test taken the night of the show, for marijuana.
UFC company policy is bonus money is not paid until drug test results come in, and a drug test failure means the bonus is forfeited.
White in 2009 used the same word in an emotional diatribe against a reporter and a story, came under fire for it and immediately apologized. On several occasions, White has expressed the view that he realized it was a big mistake to use that word because of what is symbolizes to gays.
He has tried to push a strong gay tolerant agenda. It was most notable earlier this year with the positive portrayal in promoting Liz Carmouche, a gay fighter who headlined the company Feb. 23 pay-per-view show.
Diaz's manager, Mike Kogan, on Thursday night, defended his client's use of the word, stating that the Urban
Dictionary said the slur he used meant punk, and was not in reference to homosexuals.
Diaz is one of UFC's top lightweight fighters, but has lost his last two fights, including a championship match to Benson Henderson, and on April 20, lost to Josh Thomson
by a second-round ref stoppage.
As visa waiting game continues, both Mark Hunt and potential replacement Roy Nelson are granted licenses to fight
may not have his visa yet, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission granted him a license to fight Junior dos Santos at UFC 160
Hunt, who is still stuck in New Zealand awaiting a visa to fly to Las Vegas, told the commission on Friday that he is hopeful his visa will come soon.
"I'm still waiting." he said. "I think I should be getting one on Monday. Hopefully Monday."
A UFC representative told MMAFighting.com that they are still confident Hunt's visa issues will be resolved before next weekend's event. Hunt told MMAFighting.com last week that the issue stems
from a 2002 arrest, which he said on Friday was quickly dismissed.
In the meantime, the commission approved Hunt to fight in Las Vegas. This would mark just the second time in his MMA/kickboxing career that "The Super Samoan" would compete in "the fight capital of the world."
The UFC also recently approached Roy Nelson
about potentially filling in for Hunt, should he not get his visa, so "Big Country" was also asked to apply for a license to fight at UFC 160. The NSAC approved his application on Friday, as well.
However, Nelson is no shoe-in. A source close to the situation told MMAFighting.com that an initial deal couldn't be reached between both parties due to financial terms, however, Nelson is still willing to fight on short notice, if an adequate deal can be made.
Hunt tried to leave New Zealand twice last week but was stopped at the airport both times. When asked if he was worried about having to deal with jet lag on fight week, Hunt looked on the bright side.
"Even if I was," he said, "what can be done about this?"
UFC on FX 8 weigh-in results: Tempers flare between Luke Rockhold, Vitor Belfort
Mini-fireworks erupted at the conclusion of the weigh-ins in a packed Arena Jaragua in Santa Catarina, Brazil, for Saturday night's UFC on FX 8 show.
After headliners Luke Rockhold and Victor Belfort had made weight, each coming in at 186, Rockhold walked up to Belfort for the stare down.
He kept walking, getting close but not bumping Belfort, when Belfort shoved him back hard and started yelling at Rockhold. Officials jumped in between the two before Rockhold was taken off the stage. Belfort then did a throat-cutting motion with his hands while the partisan Brazilian crowd cheered him, a day before their scheduled five-round main event. .
"No come close, no come close," Belfort said in an interview on Fuel TV afterwards when asked what he was saying as Rockhold was pulled away.
"He's scared already," said Belfort. "He feels the heat."
Rockhold responded when it was his turn on Fuel TV.
"He's scared. I'm coming for him and I'm going to kick his ass," Rockhold said.
All fighters but one made weight on Friday afternoon, but there were a lot of close calls. A number of fights missed on the first try and four had to strip down to make it. In total, 17 of the 26 fighters hitting their mark on the nose with the one-pound allowance, and then most began immediately searching out liquids.
The fight is a big one for Rockhold (10-1), a slight favorite over the 36-year-old veteran, in a battle of the two men with the most first round finishes in Strikeforce and UFC history, respectively.
"You doubt, I'll prove you wrong," said Belfort (22-10) about oddsmakers favoring Rockhold.
There had been a lot of heat in the weeks leading to the fight with Rockhold critical of Belfort's past usage of testosterone replacement therapy, in part due to Belfort having tested positive for steroids earlier in his career.
Facebook fights (4:30 p.m. Eastern)
Jeremy Larson (155) vs. Lucas Martins (153)
Chris Cariaso (126) vs. Jussier Formiga da Silva (126)
Azamat Gashimiov (126) vs. John Lineker (126)
Fuel fights (6 p.m. Eastern)
Roger Hollett (204) vs. Fabio Maldonado (205)
Iliarde Santos (134) vs. Yuri Alcantara (136)
Michel Prazeres (171) vs. Paulo Thiago (170)
John Cholish (156.2) vs. Gleison Tibau (156)*
Mike Rio (156) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (154)
Nik Lentz (146) vs. Hacran Dias (146)
FX fights (9 p.m. Eastern)
Joao Zeferino (184) vs. Rafael Natal (186)
Evan Dunham (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (156)
Chris Camozzi (186) vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (186)
Luke Rockhold (186) vs. Vitor Belfort (186)
* Cholish successfully made weight.
Bryan Caraway denies Bellator fighter's drug accusation, regrets strong anti-marijuana stance
Bellator's Michelle Ould became the latest fighter to take a jab at Bryan Caraway this week.
Hours after the UFC announced it had suspended Nathan Diaz on Thursday for using a homophobic slur to describe Caraway, Ould, a 7-3 women's MMA veteran, insinuated on Twitter that Caraway, who spoke out against marijuana following Pat Healy's suspension earlier this week, was being a hypocrite because he used to sell performance-enhancing drugs.
"Dude use[d] to sell my ex roommate PED's - but he hates weed -go figure," she wrote.
Caraway, when reached by MMAFighting.com, vehemently denied the allegation.
"It's complete BS," he said. "I don't like any drugs."
Caraway's girlfriend, UFC fighter Miesha Tate, defended her boyfriend on Friday, as well.
"Bryan took a fight unexpectedly on five days' notice and passed all of his drug tests," she said. "That's all the proof anyone should need."
Following Healy's suspension, the UFC decided to give the $65,000 submission of the night bonus he was originally awarded to Caraway, who also won via submission on April 27. Upon receiving the bonus, Caraway told MMAJunkie.com that he was strongly against marijuana usage.
On Friday, Caraway appeared to regret his strong anti-marijuana stance. He also refused to get into a public war of words with Diaz.
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's America," he said. "But his word choice was poor, same as myself.
"I was too harsh in my interview about marijuana."
The UFC has yet to announce how much, if any amount, Diaz will be fined for his tweet.